Botwell House School Equality Statement:
The basic equality between all human beings has always been fundamental to Catholic belief and teaching. Botwell House Primary School acknowledges and welcomes diversity among pupils, staff, governors and visitors. Our Inclusion and Equality Scheme which includes our Accessibility Plan, outlines the commitment of the staff and governors to promote equality. This involves tackling the barriers which could lead to unequal outcomes so that there is equality of access and the diversity within the school community is celebrated and valued. We believe that equality at our school should permeate all aspects of school life and is the responsibility of every member of the school and wider community.
Every member of the school community should feel safe, secure, valued and of equal worth. At Botwell House School, equality is a key principle for treating all people the same. The school does not discriminate against anyone because of:
- being married or in a civil partnership
- being pregnant or on maternity leave
- race including colour, nationality, ethnicity
- religion, belief or lack of religion/belief
- sexual orientation
We promote the principles of fairness and justice for all through the education that we provide in our school.
Equality in Teaching and Learning:
We provide all our pupils with the opportunity to succeed and to reach the highest level of personal achievement. We do this by:
- Ensuring equality of access for all pupils and preparing them for life in a diverse society
- Using materials that reflect the diversity of the school, population and local community without stereotyping
- Promoting attitudes and values that challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice
- Providing opportunities for pupils to appreciate their own culture and celebrate the diversity of other cultures
- Seeking to involve all parents in supporting their child’s education
- Utilising teaching approaches appropriate for the whole school population which are inclusive and reflective of our pupils.
Equal Opportunities for Staff:
All staff appointments and promotions are made on the basis of merit and ability and in compliance with the law. We are keen to ensure that the staffing of the school reflects the diversity of our community.